Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Valentine’s Day (or Singles Awareness Day as the case may be)!

Given that this is Valentine’s Day week, it’s only fitting we should all take a moment and talk, or at least think, about love. Personally, I like love. It’s a nice thing, a gift. I have many friends who are celebrating a “first” this Valentine’s Day; first V-Day being together, first one being engaged, the first one being married, and first one with a kid or two kids. It’s all very sweet and wonderful, but not what I’m going to talk about and not what God has been speaking to me about this week.


When I read the Bible for my daily devotional time, I read the same passage or chapter or whatever for five days and each day, God shows me something different, something that I hadn’t seen on the first, second, third, or fourth reading! It’s pretty amazing!


My passage this week is Ephesians 3:14-21 (New Living Translation):


(Paul’s Prayer for Spiritual Growth)


14 When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father,15 the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth.16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.

20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. 21 Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.”


Here’s where God took me with this today (basically, I’m just going to copy these pages of my journal for you- note that this is written from God’s POV):


My love is:

-Wide enough to cover the breadth of your own experience and it reaches out to the whole world.

-Long enough to continue the length of our lives and long-suffering enough to put up with all your personal crap.

-High enough to rise to the heights of your celebration and elation.

-Deep enough to reach the depths of your discouragement, despair, and even your death.


Let My love act as a Quieter for your soul. Let Me quiet you in the midst of the storm, I am strong enough for you! Let My love be enough and you will never be disappointed in it. It’s human nature to want another person to be close to, I should know, I made you that way, but no other person can fill the gap in your heart that I created for Myself. I want to live in your heart, I want to make you strong so that you will be ready for the oncoming battle. Don’t you realize that without Me, you will not be able to stand? The thought of you falling brings tears to My eyes because I love you so much!


As you learn to trust Me, I will instill Myself in your heart all the more, I will shield your heart but only if you let Me. I can only move if you let me. This has nothing to do with My power and everything to do with your faith. I have more in store for you than you could ever dream! I have plans for you that would knock your socks off! And I want to tell you about them, but you must be ready! Fortify yourself with My love and you shall never ever fall where My love will not catch you.




I know there is so much more to learn from this passage, so much more that God can show me. I’m excited to learn more, to know more, to love more.



Happy Valentine’s Day (or Singles Awareness Day as the case may be)!!

No comments: