Saturday, May 30, 2009

I'm here in Suffolk for a few days with my best friend from high school and her family. They live in a lovely house near some water and it's probably the most restful place I have been in a long time. No one is asking anything of me, no one is even sitting with me right now and it's pretty fantastic! Now, don't get me wrong, I love my home, my friends, and those God has peopled my life with, but sometimes you just need to rest. This summer is me learn how to rest and how to really let God have my time and use it how He wants to, not just how I have filled me schedule. So be prepared to read lots of posts on resting in the midst of whatever I'm doing. Next week, I'll be able to blog more about what's going on and specifically how God's been dumping buckets full of blessings and love on my undeserving head. But back to now...

I sat this morning on my friend's back porch and just sat. I smelled the scent of flowers wafting through the air, the water nearby giving off it's particular aroma, and I listened to the birds chirp their happy songs of praise to their creator. Even Christy's dog was happy. It's just beautiful. And I can sit and listen and smell and just be. I took a moment and smiled and thanked my God for this precious time of rest and reflection of His creation that I wouldn't have gotten had I stayed home. Below is the scripture I was led to read and yes, it also spoke to me and showed me how important resting on God really is. 


Psalm 30 (New International Version)

 1 I will exalt you, O LORD, 
       for you lifted me out of the depths 
       and did not let my enemies gloat over me.

 2 O LORD my God, I called to you for help 
       and you healed me.

 3 O LORD, you brought me up from the grave; 
       you spared me from going down into the pit.

 4 Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; 
       praise his holy name.

 5 For his anger lasts only a moment, 
       but his favor lasts a lifetime; 
       weeping may remain for a night, 
       but rejoicing comes in the morning.

 6 When I felt secure, I said, 
       "I will never be shaken."

 7 O LORD, when you favored me, 
       you made my mountain stand firm; 
       but when you hid your face, 
       I was dismayed.

 8 To you, O LORD, I called; 
       to the Lord I cried for mercy:

 9 "What gain is there in my destruction, 
       in my going down into the pit? 
       Will the dust praise you? 
       Will it proclaim your faithfulness?

 10 Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me; 
       O LORD, be my help."

 11 You turned my wailing into dancing; 
       you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,

 12 that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. 
       O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

No comments: