Monday, June 1, 2009

Psalm 73: 21-28 (NIV)

Psalm 73: 21-28 (NIV)
21 When my heart was grieved
and my spirit embittered,
22 I was senseless and ignorant;
I was a brute beast before you.
23 Yet I am always with you;
you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever.
27 Those who are far from you will perish;
you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God.
I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge;
I will tell of all your deeds.

Ever have an unsatisfied feeling after your devotional or Bible study—like nothing you read sunk in really deep? I had this feeling this morning, and I felt the need for a psalm. I began turning the pages of my Bible and my eyes fell on “you hold me by my right hand”, and I knew I had to read this one. I’ve read verses 21-28 over and over this morning, and thanked God for showing them to me.

There is such love for us revealed here. Security and peace. We can have bitter hearts, we can have bad attitudes, but when we come to our senses we will see the Truth. Our God never leaves us. God is so loving and so good. What have we done to deserve such love and goodness? To deserve being led by God and taken into glory? Not one thing. It is all about Him! Here we see the benefits of believing God and clinging to Him no matter what. And also, the complete abandonment of the heart, soul, mind, and strength to God. “But as for me, it is good to be near God.” For me, to be near God means spending time with Him in His Word, talking to Him, and also just loving Him and abiding in His love. Whatever we have to give up in our daily life to stay near God is nothing in comparison to what we gain.

No comments: