Monday, June 8, 2009

What Would Moses Do?

I’m doing this thing where I’m reading through the Bible in 90 days, so basically this summer I’m reading through it. I’ve been reading for a week, and now I’m in Exodus 3. God is talking to Moses from the burning bush and tells him to go back to Pharaoh. Moses being Moses “said to God, ‘Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?’ And God said, ‘I will be with you.’”


Moses clearly had some insecurity. He didn’t speak that well, he had a history with that Pharaoh, and the people of Israel had no good, logical reason to follow him out of Egypt. There were multiple reasons why Moses should not have gone back to Egypt. But one HUGE reason why he should: God told him to go. God said “do this, I’m going with you.” What more could we want? We can’t expect God to live our lives for us and just sit on the couch at home, hoping that God will bring everyone we need or want to talk to right up to our front door. We have to be willing to walk the path He sets out for us, willing to accept the call.


As I sit here with a root beer and some Hershey’s Special Dark chocolate, I can only wonder, would I be as willing to obey? Or would I come up with excuses like Moses did? We read the Bible and we see these Biblical figures as great people, people of accomplishment, and some of them are. But most of them are just like us: scared and insecure. The only difference between them and us (besides the obvious physical and space/time differences) is that they obeyed. They questioned and they struggled, but they obeyed.


How have we obeyed today? Have we, all of us, answered that call? Regardless of what the call turns out to be, missionary, secretary, pastor, have we answered it with a willing servant heart? Or have we given excuses and tried to tell God that we aren’t good enough to do the job He has for us. God does not make mistakes! He’s going to call you for something you are not made for. Some of us are made to be missionaries, some of us are made to be pastors, some of us are made to be youth workers, and some of us are made to be secretaries. The call does not matter, as long we answer it!


Have you answered it? God is with you. What other promises do you need?

No comments: